Somebody approached me to rescue a very late project. It should be done today, I got on board yesterday...
But only today I took a first real look at the code. It features:
- self written CGI param parser
- self written templating system
- self written DB (mini) abstraction
- one very big if-elsif-block as a "dispatcher"
- it's plain CGI
- aprox. 30 different templates, all with the same header stuff inlined (but some digging in the code revealed some include-like functionality)
- the templating system only recognises commands if they begin in the first column of the line
- and probably some more niceties
The project is low budget and on a thight schedule, so I'll fight my urge to rewrite everything and stick with this mid-90s retro code.
At least they use strict (if only 'vars')...